Thursday, April 3, 2014

My First Post

This week, while recovering from a minor surgery, I’ve had plenty of time for some personal reflection; and have been wondering if it is time to start preparing for my own business venture. It is my love for ‘all things automobile’ that is steering me (no pun intended) to the right business choice. So, the big decision is not what kind of business I want to launch, but rather if I should stay working for a great company or take a chance, just like my grandfather did many years ago….

Decades before The History Channel made people famous for flipping cars for a profit, my grandfather had his own business doing that very thing – and he was damn good it at too, I might add. Grandpa would purchase newer cars from an auction then lease them to customers or flip them for a profit. I also have a distinct memory of my Uncle Brad taking a basket case late 60’s Firebird inside his garage and seeing it leave in pristine condition. Little did my Grandpa or Uncle Brad realize that they had set in motion a passion and enthusiasm for automobiles that would stay with me for the rest of my life. A full thirty years later and I’m finally going to put things in motion to start living my version of the good life.

 One of the advantages of embarking down a new path in your forties, is that you’re comfortable, realizing that you don’t know everything. I’ve learned to do my research and to take counsel from people who have had success in the matters of life and their careers.

Richard Branson is a person I look to when it comes to business and entrepreneurial things. Here is what he has to say, "When you decide to pursue an entrepreneurial venture, you have to confront your doubts and fears; sometimes you just have to go for it. Many times I have hesitated before launching a new venture or investment, even after my team and I have vetted it and we’re ready to go ahead. I’m lucky that I have a great network of friends and advisers to take soundings from."

http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/217789
Another person I have admired for twenty years is Bob Thompson. He started a paving company in 1959 with $3500 and sold the business in 1999 for $461 Million.
http://www.thompsonfdn.org/tf_aboutus.html

I realize this move could backfire (pun intended) because most businesses fail during the first year. Like I stated above, I plan on taking full advantage of every resource and take as much counsel as possible along the way. However, I do have an ‘ace-in-the-hole’ that I believe gives me an extra advantage – my wife and best friend. My wife has backed my decisions and ideas through the years; it feels good to have her full support on this, too.

Thanks for taking the time to read my first post. It will get better and I hope you will return to see the
 progression of ‘A View from Whittier Street.’

7 comments: